UA. University Archives
Found in 227 Collections and/or Records:
The Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance (EDC) is charged with ensuring that the dignity of students, employees and campus visitors is upheld, equal access to education and employment is guaranteed, respectful treatment is assured, and an appreciation of differences is fostered for all members of the university community. These records contain mostly administrative files and reports/surveys concerning initiatives of the office.
The Office of General Studies operated within Academic Affairs, and coordinated efforts of ASU for orientation and advising of new students as well as general curriculum for all students. The Office of General Studies Records contain files mostly pertaining to Orientation and advising, and date 1974-2001.
Human Resource Services facilitates greater effectiveness through the merit-based recruitment and selection of top employees, and helps in the administration of policies and procedures that support faculty and staff. Wit records dating 1973-2001, the collection of Human Resource Services contain memos, reports, handbooks, financial information and minutes, dating 1973-2001.
The Office of International Education and Development (OEID) operates within Student Affairs and includes: Appalachian Overseas Education Programs, International Outreach, International Research and Development, International Student Exchange & Study Abroad, and International Students & Scholar Services. These records contain administrative, planning and informational documents pertaining to international programs and endeavors carried out by the office, dating 1973-2003.
This record group consists of six accessions. They include administrative records on drug and alcohol use policy, demonstration and protests policy, office manuals, work etiquette recommendations, and information on parent orientations. There are also eight years (2000-2008) of student conduct booklets, correspondence, calendars, schedules, planning documents, and Student Honor Board memorandums and photographs.
The Office of Summer Sessions Records contain historical, administrative and promotional material dating 1961-2005, with bulk dates of 1983-1994. Types of documents include pamphlets, posters, budgets, enrollment comparisons, annuals reports, memoranda, correspondence, surveys, contracts, course schedules and meeting minutes.
Francis T. Borkowski served as Appalachian State University's fifth chancellor from 1993 until 2003. The records reflect the academic and administrative operations within the university, interactions with higher education organizations in North Carolina and the South, athletic programs, cultural outreach efforts, student life, relations with Boone, N.C. and other communities in western North Carolina, alumni relations, and fundraising for the university.
Dr. Herbert Wey served as Appalachian State University’s third president and first Chancellor from 1969 to 1979. The collection consists of reports, correspondence, articles, speeches, clippings, and other papers concerning the administrative operation of the campus, fund raising, student life, and academic programs of Appalachian State University.
John Edwin Thomas served as Chancellor of ASU from his appointment in 1979 to his retirement in 1993. The records contain information on the general administration of Appalachian State University, state governance, accreditation, academic programs, student life, and cultural events. His administration is known for capital improvements to the campus, increased faculty, and development of technological and communication infrastructure.
In July 2004, Kenneth Edward Peacock became the sixth chancellor of Appalachian State University. This collection consists of administrative documents and materials concerning Peacock's installation.
These records contain administrative, meeting and correspondence files regarding the Office of the Chancellor at Appalachian State University (ASU) and their role as a reporting member to the President of the UNC system of schools. ASU joined the UNC system in 1972, and Herbert Wey served as the first chancellor.
B.B. Dougherty was a founder of the Appalachian Training School in 1903. His papers primarily include materials relating to Dr. Dougherty's role as an administrator of Appalachian State Teachers College and predecessor institutions (1903-1955), and his many positions on state boards and committees concerned with the education in North Carolina (1911-1957).
William Howard Plemmons was the second President of Appalachian State Teachers College serving from 1955 until 1969. Materials in this collection include correspondence and subject files, newsclippings, photographs, and other printed materials relating to the administration of Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C.) during Plemmons’ presidency and his continued active involvement as President Emeritus.
The Office of the University Attorney serves as counselor with respect to legal issues, and represents the University as an institutional entity. These records contain various legal and administrative documents pursuant to claims and litigation, such as contracts, correspondence, meeting minutes, transcripts, depositions, grievances, claim files, evidential files, and budget information dating 1975-2001.
The Organization on the Status of Women was created in 1973 and continued to support inquiry into issues concerning faculty women at Appalachian throughout the late 1980s. This collection is comprised of notebooks containing the minutes, reports, meeting notes, and other files regarding the organization activity.
This collection consists of one issue of "Other Voices," a publication of the Black Faculty and Staff at Appalachian State University (Volume 1, No. 1). The editor was Dr. James M. Ivory of the Department of English. It is dated Spring 2000.
Original pencil drawing of Yosef, the mascot of Appalachian State University. The drawing was done by John Raymond Brendell, Jr. of Boone. Included in the folder is a document titled "Putting a Face on Yosef," written and researched by H. G. Jones.
The Physical Plant, within Business Affairs, has been in operation since at least 1971, and its purpose is to create an aesthetically pleasing, environmentally sound, and energy efficient physical environment for the campus community. The Physical Plant Records contain a wealth of material relating to projects undertaken by the Physical Plant as well as files relating to daily operations. Though the files date 1931-2003, many of the files date between 1967 and 1994.
Original charter presented by the national Pi Gamma Mu office to Appalachian State Teachers College acknowleding the establishment of the North Carolina Epsilon chapter. Pi Gamma Mu is the national social science honor society.
This collection is a copy print of a black and white photograph of R. Bruce White. He is pictured sitting at his desk. White assisted in passing the "Newland Bill" which created Appalachian Training School in 1903.The date attributed to this photograph is the date the copy print is believed to have been made.
This collection contains an Appalachian Training School certificate for Ralph E. Dockery, presented on May 6, 1926, for the completion of his studies.
The College of Education was established in 1968 (named for Lois Reich in 1987) and currently houses six departments offering a variety of programs leading to bachelor, masters and doctoral degrees. The Reich College of Education Records contain mostly administrative files from the College of Education and the Dean’s Office dating 1953-2003.
The collection includes reunion photos from 1987, including the 1937 football team and an invitation to Kidd Brewer's 80th birthday party in 1988.
Colonel Doctor Richter H. Moore, Jr. (1928-1996) was chair of the Department of Political Science from 1983 to 1996. The Richter H. Moore, Jr. Papers contain the professional working papers of Dr. Richter Moore, Jr. including drafts and finished manuscripts, course materials, and correspondence related to the department chair and university committee work.