Skip to main content

Asheville Mission Hospital School of Nursing Scrapbook

 Collection
Identifier: RB-8000

Scope and Content Note

The collection consists of one 27 page scrapbook, containing photographs, newspaper clippings, a case study from 1938-39, and ephemera from the School of Nursing and the Asheville Mission Hospital from the mid to late 1930s. It also contains ephemera from the Morgan family, including graduation announcements, nameplates, and letters, appointment certificates from the U. S. Army from 1945, 1948, and 1952, photographs of students, nurses, and family, and photographic postcards. Some photographs of Tennessee are included.

Sixteen pages contain pasted materials, followed by a collection of loose ephemera, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and photographs. The last ten pages are blank.
The collection consists of one 27 page scrapbook, containing photographs, newspaper clippings, a case study from 1938-39, and ephemera from the School of Nursing and the Asheville Mission Hospital from the mid to late 1930s. It also contains ephemera from the Morgan family, including graduation announcements, nameplates, and letters, appointment certificates from the U. S. Army from 1945, 1948, and 1952, photographs of students, nurses, and family, and photographic postcards. Some photographs of Tennessee are included.
Sixteen pages contain pasted materials, followed by a collection of loose ephemera, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and photographs. The last ten pages are blank.

Dates

  • 1936-1952
  • Majority of material found within 1936 - 1939

Access Note

Appointment for access is required.

Special Use Conditions

Special care needed for handling. Photocopying limited based on condition.

Biographical Note

The School of Nursing is an accredited institution for the provision of educating nurses. It opened in 1901 under the management of the Asheville Mission Hospital. It provided a three year undergraduate nursing program in the fields of private duty, institutional, and public health.
The Asheville Mission Hospital began in 1885 as a nonprofit medical facility. In 2009 the Asheville Mission Hospital became the Asheville campus for the University of North Carolina School of Medicine. It has been located at 509 Biltmore Avenue, Asheville, NC, since 1909.
The scrapbook was assembled by Mary Sue Morgan, graduate of the School of Nursing. Morgan was born in 1919 in Erwin, TN, and graduated from the School of Nursing in 1939. She served during World War II as a first lieutenant in the U. S. Army Nurse Corps in 1945 and was promoted to captain in 1952.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet (1 oversize box)

Language of Materials

English

Physical Characteristics Note

First sixteen pages detached from binding. Pages brittle. Loose materials included.

Provenance

Scrapbook was donated to Appalachian State University in 2009 by Briana Bright.

Copyright Note

Copyright owned by Appalachian State University. Reproduction approval required and depends on material’s fragility.
  • Asheville (N.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
  • Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
  • Medical care Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
  • Nursing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
  • Students. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Status
Under Revision
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Appalachian State University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
218 College Street
Boone U.S.A. - North Carolina 28608-2026 United States
8282624975
8282624975 (Fax)