Skip to main content

Blueprints and architectural drawings

Identifier: UA 5133

Scope and Contents

Blueprints and Architectural Drawings contain a miscellany of ASU campus blueprints, dating 1928-2010. The blueprints include: copies of Sanborn Fire Insurance maps of Appalachian Campus (1928-1947), Appalachian Cultural Center, Old Science Building Renovations (ASTC), Department of Technology blueprints, Original Edwin Duncan Hall blueprints, a drawing of the Chancellor’s home (1993), and a rendering of what is now Anne Belk Hall.


  • Majority of material found within 1928-2010

Conditions Governing Access

The materials from Appalachian State University Libraries' Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The nature of these collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. As a result, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.

Conditions Governing Use

Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Appalachian State University assumes no responsibility.

Biographical / Historical

The provenance of these records is varied, and as such, no single historical note can be given. However, design, maintenance and construction on the campus of Appalachian State University is generally carried out by the Physical Plant. Notes on the history of ASU and the Physical Plant follow:

Appalachian State University can trace its origins back to 1899 when brothers B.B. and D. D. Dougherty founded the Watauga Academy. B.B. Dougherty saw a need for trained teachers in Watauga County as well as throughout North Carolina. He was instrumental in getting a bill passed for a state-supported school in Watauga County, which became the Appalachian Training School for Teachers. The school first opened for classes in 1903. In 1925, the school became the Appalachian State Normal School for a period of four years, though in 1929 the name was changed to Appalachian State Teachers’ College and it became a four-year college. The transition from a small teachers’ college to a multi-disciplinary university would not occur until July 1, 1967 when Appalachian State University was established.

It operates and maintains the Physical Plant segment of this environment (buildings and grounds), and also provides auxiliary services as needed to facilitate and support the distinctive role of Appalachian State University (ASU) as a constituent institution of the University of North Carolina system. The Physical Plant operates within Business Affairs, and works closely with the Office of Design and Construction. It has been in operation at ASU since at least 1971.


36.77 Linear Feet (5 boxes, 1 half-sized manuscript box, 2 folders, 21 rolled blueprints, 27 oversize folders, 2 oversize folders in cold storage)

Language of Materials



The provenance of these records is varied, but all of these records pertain to the buildings and campus of Appalachian. Design, maintenance and construction on the campus of Appalachian State University is generally carried out by the Physical Plant. The blueprints and drawings in this collection date 1928-2010.

Blueprints and architectural drawings
Grant Maher
Language of description
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository