University Archives Artifacts collection
Scope and Contents
The University Archives Artifacts Collection spans a wide range of material types and dates and many of the accessions that compose this collection contain a single item. Some of the items include drawings, yearbooks, awards, sweaters, medallions, programs and a brick. Though the dates of the items span 1867-2000, the majority of the items date to before 1975, and many items are from the first 50 years of Appalachian’s operation.
- circa 1903-2019
Appalachian State University can trace its origins back to 1899 when brothers B.B. and D. D. Dougherty founded Watauga Academy. B.B. Dougherty saw a need for trained teachers in Watauga County as well as throughout North Carolina. He was instrumental in getting a bill passed for a state-supported school in Watauga County, which became the Appalachian Training School for Teachers. The school first opened for classes in 1903. In 1925, the school became the Appalachian State Normal School for a period of four years, and in 1929 the name was changed to Appalachian State Teachers’ College and it became a four-year college. The transition from a small teachers’ college to a multi-disciplinary university would not occur until July 1, 1967 when Appalachian State University was established.
15.65 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Appalachian State University was originally founded as Watauga Academy in 1899, and grew into a multidisciplinary university, becoming part of the UNC system in 1968. This collection of artifacts spans a wide range of material types and dates (1867-2000) and many of the accessions that compose this collection contain a single item.
- University Archives Artifacts collection
- Kim Sims
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script