Skip to main content

Appalachian State Teachers College collection

 Collection
Identifier: UA 5247

Scope and Contents

The Appalachian State Teachers College Records include early documents, correspondence, publications, speeches, commencement addresses, a 1959 commencement program, an ASTC fact sheet, a press release, faculty meeting minutes (1927-1935) and picture captions (captions only, no photos).

Dates

  • 1927-1967

Creator

Language

The materials are in English.

Access Restrictions

This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room without restrictions.

Historical Note

Appalachian State University can trace its origins back to 1899 when brothers B.B. and D. D. Dougherty founded the Watauga Academy. B.B. Dougherty saw a need for trained teachers in Watauga County as well as throughout North Carolina. He was instrumental in getting a bill passed for a state-supported school in Watauga County, which became the Appalachian Training School for Teachers. The school first opened for classes in 1903. In 1925, the school became the Appalachian State Normal School for a period of four years, though in 1929 the name was changed to Appalachian State Teachers' College and it became a four-year school.

Appalachian State Teachers' College offered students the chance to pursue either a two-year course of study leading to a "B" North Carolina teaching certificate, or a four-year course leading to a Bachelor of Science Degree and an "A" teaching certificate. A wide variety of majors were added through the years in areas such as English, History, French, Home Economics, Library Science, Public School Music, and Business Education. In 1948, a program of study was established so that students could receive a master's degree at Appalachian. Eventually, the college underwent a reorganization process in anticipation of accreditation by the Southern Association of Colleges for Teacher Education (AACTE). In this process, eight departments were established, including applied arts, biology and chemistry, education, languages, health and physical education, history and government, mathematics and physics, and social studies. On July 1, 1967, the institution was reorganized as Appalachian State University.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 box)

Abstract

Appalachian State Teachers College, established in 1929 as a four-year college, was the precursor to Appalachian State University. The Appalachian State Teachers College Records include items such as early documents, correspondence, publications, speeches, and commencement addresses.

Arrangement

This collection is divided into three series that are arranged by subject. Series I contains faculty meeting minutes from 1927 to 1935. Series II contains commencement speeches, programs, and bulletins. Series III contains assorted papers (letters, photograph captions, publications, and college rulebooks). Both Series II and Series III date from the 1930s until 1967.

Acquisitions Information

These records were transferred to the University Archives in multiple accessions.

Processing Information

These records were processed by Rose Buchanan in 2012. Finding aid written by Rose Buchanan and Kendall Reese.
Title
Appalachian State Teachers College Collection, 1927-1967
Status
Completed
Author
Rose Buchanan, Kendall Reese
Date
1/24/12
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Undetermined
Script of description
Code for undetermined script

Repository Details

Part of the Appalachian State University Special Collections Repository

Contact:
218 College Street
Boone U.S.A. - North Carolina 28608-2026 United States
8282624975
8282624975 (Fax)