Kirby and Eller Family letters
Scope and Contents
The Kirby and Eller Family Letters contain correspondence between the Kirby and Eller family. These focus mainly on life’s day-to-day events, including items such as planting and harvesting crops, health and illness, marriages, traveling, and household tasks. The Civil War (of which Hansford Eller and Aswell Eller fought on the Southern side) is a very significant topic in the letters. The letters also include grocery and estate receipts and one postcard.
- 1826-1938, undated
The materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
No interlibrary loan.
This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.
Elizabeth “Bettie” Kirby (1851-1925) was born on February 15th, 1851 in Meadow Creek, Virginia, to parents Joel Kirby and Frances Roberts. Millard F. Kirby, Samuel J. Kirby, Emory T. Kirby, and Ada B. Kirby were her siblings. She married Joseph Lafayette Eller on September 22nd, 1875 in Ashe County, NC, where she lived until her death on December 9th, 1925.
Luke Eller (1806-1883) was born on June 8th, 1806 in Ashe Co., NC. He was married to Sarah King on March 27th, 1829 in Ashe Co. He is the father of Joseph Lafayette Eller (Elizabeth’s husband), Hansford Eller, and Aswell Eller. Luke Eller lived in Ashe Co. until his death on December 6th, 1883.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 half-sized manuscript box)
The Kirby and Eller Family Letters contain correspondence between the Kirby and Eller families of Ashe County, North Carolina. The letters focus mainly on day-to-day events such as planting and harvesting crops, health and illness, and household tasks, but also include references to the Civil War.
The Kirby and Eller Letters are arranged chronologically, spanning 1826-1938.
The Kirby and Eller Family Letters (AC.2011.053) were donated by Kenneth Jackson in 2011.
Processed by Katie Cooper, 2011.
- Ashe County (N.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Edgewater (Va.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Helton (N.C.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Kingsville (Kan.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Meadow Creek (Va.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Measles Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rural Retreat (Va.) Subject Source: Local sources
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- AC.495: Kirby and Eller Family Letters, 1826-1938
- Katie Cooper
- October 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script