Adam Staley's Southern Claims Commission Collection,
Scope and Contents
Adam Staley's Southern Claims Commission Collection contains Adam Staley's claim against the United States for damages received during the Civil War includes testimony by himself, his neighbors and relatives substantiating his claim that he was an Unionist. Staley's claim was denied. After his death, Staley's executor and eldest son Thornton Staley renewed his father's claims. It was also denied.
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- History -- 19th century
- Staley, Adam, 1817-1888
- Staley, Thornton, 1844-1918
- Unionists (United States Civil War) -- Appalachian Region, Southern
- United States. Commissioners of Claims
- Wilkes County (N.C.) -- History -- 19th century
The materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
No Interlibrary loan.
This collection is open for use in the Dougherty Reading Room. An appointment for research is recommended. The Dougherty Reading Room is located on the 4th floor of Belk Library in Special Collections.
Adam Staley (1817-1888) was the son of Jacob and Nellie Childers Staley. He was born in eastern Wilkes County. In 1843, he married Nancy Kilby, the daughter of Thornton and Lucy Shepherd Kilby of the Reddies River community in central Wilkes County. Adam and his family resided in Reddies River. Neither he nor any of his sons joined the Confederacy. Staley worked primarily as a farmer; however, he was Wilkes County's deputy sheriff from 1865 to 1866.
0.01 Linear Feet (1 folder)
The Adam Staley's Southern Claims Commission Collection contains the photocopied version of National Archives and Records Administration file on Adam Staley's claim to the Southern Claims Commission.
This is a one-folder collection.
Kathryn Staley donated this collection to the W.L. Eury Appalachian Collection in 2000. The accession number is AC.2000.010. This collection was opened to the public on 28 August 2002.
Processed by Kathryn Staley, August 2002; Encoded by Kathryn Staley, May 2005.
- Appalachian Region, Southern -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Unionists (United States Civil War) -- Appalachian Region, Southern Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States. Commissioners of Claims Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wilkes County (N.C.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- AC.146: Adam Staley's Southern Claims Commission Collection of Papers, 1873 - 1897
- Processed by: Kathryn Staley; machine-readable finding aid created by: Kathryn Staley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Description Is In English