Ella W. Thompson and Lloyd L. Hobbs collection
Scope and Content
This collection contains scrapbooks and memorabilia documenting the experiences of Ella Williams Thompson and her husband Dr. Lloyd LeRoy Hobbs, while they were students at Appalachian State Teachers College from 1933-1937. Materials within the collection include newspaper clippings, photographs, letters, postcards, telegrams, alumni membership cards, annuals, certificates, and plaques. Topics covered in this collection include academics, wrestling and football, student activities, and student life.
The scrapbooks have been digitized. A link to each can be accessed from directly from the file (From the container inventory, click on any scrapbook. The next page will have a "button" in red. Click there to access the digital scan.)
- Hobbs-Roulstone, Hannah Jean (Person)
- Hobbs, Ella W. Thompson (Person)
Ella Williams Thompson Hobbs was born on February 1, 1917 in Caswell County, North Carolina. She attended Appalachian State Teachers College (ASTC) from 1933-1937. After graduation, she worked as a teacher in Virginia. She died on March 9, 2008 in Alexandria, Virginia.
Lloyd LeRoy Hobbs was born on December 2, 1912 in Edenton, North Carolina. He also attended ASTC from 1933-1937. In 1941, he earned a Doctor of Dental Surgery from the Medical College of Virginia and established a dental practice in Blacksburg, Virginia. In 1948, he was elected president of the Alumni Association. He died in 1994 in Buxton, North Carolina.
Both Ella and Lloyd remained active in their community in Blacksburg, as well as with the Appalachian community. They were elected into the Chancellor's Society in 1996.
There is more biographical information provided by their daughter, Hannah, located in the first scrapbook (Box 1).
9.21 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The majority of this collection was donated to the University Archives by Ella and Lloyd Hobbs' daughter, Hannah Hobbs-Roulstone, in November 2007. It was accessioned in 2007 as UA 2007.131. Most of the scrapbooks were compiled by Hobbs-Roulstone with the assistance of her mother.
The framed athletic letters were earned by Lloyd Hobbs, who played football and was on the wrestling team from 1935-1937. They were donated by Lauren and Susan Payne on behalf of Lloyd Hobbs. They were accessioned as UA 2010.042.
This collections former unique identifier was UA 5017.
Processed by Ethan Brooks-Livingston under the supervision of Cynthia Harbeson, April 2011. Finding aid completed by Ethan Brooks-Livingston and Grant Maher, August 2011. Encoded by Cynthia Harbeson, April 2011. Finding aid updated by Kimberly Sims, September 2020.
- Appalachian State Teachers College (N.C.)
- Appalachian State University -- Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Appalachian State University--Sports Subject Source: Local sources
- Appalachian State University--Students--Social life and customs. Subject Source: Local sources
- Appalachian State University. Yosef Club
- Hobbs, Lloyd LeRoy
- Women college students Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ella W. Thompson and Lloyd L. Hobbs collection
- Ethan Brooks-Livingston and Grant Maher, updated by Kimberly Sims, September 2020
- August 10, 2011
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
Part of the Special Collections Research Center Repository