Department of English records
Scope and Contents
The Department of English Records contain administrative and academic files, as well as correspondence between the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department of English, the chairperson, and other department faculty. The administrative files include daily operations documents, logistical planning documents, memoranda, budgets, agendas, meeting minutes, faculty appointments and committee/council recommendations. Academic files include syllabi, course descriptions, grant proposals, paper publications, curriculum proposals and reports/surveys.
- Majority of material found within 1993 - 2007
- Appalachian State University. Department of English (Organization)
The materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials from Appalachian State University Libraries' Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The nature of these collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. As a result, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Appalachian State University assumes no responsibility.
Courses in English have always been taught at Appalachian State University and its predecessor institutions. For some time, English courses were offered by the Department of Languages until 1960 when the Department of English was established. The department, in the College of Arts and Sciences, currently offers undergraduate and graduate courses, leading to a Bachelor of Arts, a Bachelor of Science, a Master of Arts and a Master of Science degree.
15 Linear Feet ((30 boxes)
The Department of English Records contain administrative and academic files, as well as correspondence between the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department of English, the chairperson, and other department faculty.
Series I: Committees and Faculty Meetings, Series II: Academic Curriculum, Series III: Annual Reports, and Series IV: Administration are all arranged in alphabetical order.
This collection's former unique identifer was UA 5029.
The collection was processed by Claire Stamper and Trevor McKenzie, April 2015. A portion of the collection was initially processed by Grant Maher.
- Appalachian State University. Academic Policies and Procedures Committee
- Appalachian State University. Arts and Sciences Council
- Appalachian State University. Department of English
- Appalachian State University. University Writing Center
- Byrd, J. William
- College department heads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Deans (Education) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Education -- Curricula Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and Colleges -- Departments Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Universities and colleges -- Faculty. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Department of English records
- Grant Maher
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script