Alpha Beta Phi Society postcard
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of a postcard mailed to Janie Alley of Bristol, Tennessee by the Alpha Beta Phi Society at the Stonewall Jackson Institute in Abingdon, Virginia in November 1906. It served as an invitation to an event entitled "The Skeleton on the Pad" at City Hall in Abingdon, Virginia on December 7, 1906. The invitation was drawn by hand, including the illustration of a skeleton stirring a cauldron. Inscribed on the cauldron is the phrase "Devils soup is made you see by the finest recipe."
- 1906 November
Conditions Governing Access
The materials from Appalachian State University Libraries' Special Collections are made available for use in research, teaching, and private study, pursuant to U.S. Copyright law. The nature of these collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine despite reasonable efforts. As a result, the user must assume full responsibility for any use of the materials, including but not limited to, infringement of copyright and publication rights of reproduced materials. Any materials used for academic research or otherwise should be fully credited with the source.
Conditions Governing Use
Manuscript collections and archival records may contain materials with sensitive or confidential information that is protected under federal or state right to privacy laws and regulations, the North Carolina Public Records Act (N.C.G.S. § 132 1 et seq.), and Article 7 of the North Carolina State Personnel Act (Privacy of State Employee Personnel Records, N.C.G.S. § 126-22 et seq.). Researchers are advised that the disclosure of certain information pertaining to identifiable living individuals represented in this collection without the consent of those individuals may have legal ramifications (e.g., a cause of action under common law for invasion of privacy may arise if facts concerning an individual's private life are published that would be deemed highly offensive to a reasonable person) for which the Appalachian State University assumes no responsibility.
The Stonewall Jackson Female Institute, located near Abingdon, Virginia, was established in 1868 by the Sinking Spring Presbyterian Church for the education of young women. It was renamed the Stonewall Jackson College in 1914 when the Montgomery Presbytery assumed joint ownership. The college continued to operate until 1930 when it closed because of mounting debts.
0.01 Linear Feet
The collection was purchased from Bookworm and Silverfish on October 9, 1997 and accessioned as AC.2002.051.
Processed by Anita Elliott, March 2013. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.
- Alpha Beta Phi Society postcard
- Processed by Anita Elliott, updated by Kim Sims
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note