Scope and Contents
The University Library Records contain a variety of administrative files, documents pertaining to construction and operation of the “New Belk Library,” planning documents, committee and council files, photographs, memorabilia, videos (varying formats), slides, correspondence and memoranda dating 1905-2011, with the bulk of the material dating 1990-2001. The administrative files include accession ledgers, circulation statistics and records, agendas, letters, budgets, forms, and reports, many of which pertain to reorganization and the shift to the new building in 2005. Additionally, some administrative files pertain to the Learning Resources office, which undertook library operations from approximately 1971-1983. These Learning Resources files are mostly correspondence and memoranda. Most of the media formats pertain to the move to the new building as well, including before and after photos, dedication events, Public Relations related to the new library, and the artwork of the new library. Many of the committee and council files predate the new library, and pertain to development of operations within the University Library and across Appalachian State University's campus.
New Accession addition UA.2013.007 added to record 4/23/2013 - Dedication Events Oversize Poster (Oversize Cabinet E3, Dr. 17)
New Accession UA. 2013.047 added: variety, Library Papers, 1978-1998 (in Small Accession Box 2013-2)
Majority of material found within 1990 - 2001
Accession UA.2007.045 is restricted due to the presence of confidential information.
The first library at Appalachian opened in 1903 in the school’s first building. By 1925, the library was moved to the new administration building, and in 1935 the D.D. Dougherty Memorial Library was constructed. In 1968, the main library on campus was erected and named in honor of Carol Grotnes Belk. This building is now named Anne Belk Hall and houses Appalachian State University’s History Department, Technology Support Services, Government and Justice Studies Department, and the Hubbard Center for Faculty Development. Between approximately 1971 and 1983, the operations of the University Libraries were carried out by the Learning Resources office, whose primary faculty included the Dean of Learning Resources and the University Librarian. The Carol Grotnes Belk Library and Information Commons was dedicated and opened in September 2005 and features a five floor space with nearly a million bound volumes, public computer space, a digital media studio, group study rooms, the University Writing Center and Special Collections. Special Collections houses and oversees the majority of the collections of the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection, the Stock Car Racing Collection, University Archives, and the Rare Books and Manuscript Collections, including the Bill and Maureen Rhinehart Collection. The University Library houses and oversees the Instructional Materials Center and the Erneston Music Library.
60.4 Linear Feet (86 boxes, 5 half-sized manuscript boxes, 2 records cartons, 15 folders, 1 small flip-top box, 1 DV cassette, 1 VHS tape, 4 oversize boxes, 2 oversize folders)
Language of Materials