Camp Yonahlossee collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains photographs spanning in time from Yonahlossee's early years up into the 1970s, many of these are held in scrapbooks and four large collages. Also included in the collection are camp catalogs, yearbooks, a songbook, a guestbook, an application for registration, a record book of the Yonahlossee Delphian Chapter, a riding helmet, letters from a camper, a camp pennant, and camp shirts.
- 1925-2002, undated
The materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
No interlibrary loan.
The collection is open for research in the Dougherty Reading Room.
Camp Yonahlossee was founded in 1922 by Mrs. A. P. Kephart as a summer camp for girls. The camp was the female counterpart to Camp Yonahnoka located nearby in Linville, North Carolina. In 1954 the camp was sold to Mr. and Mrs. George M. McCord and Mrs. Agnes Jeter. The camp's primary focus was outdoor recreation with programs including horseback riding, archery, rifle shooting, swimming, sailing, and fencing. Crafts and dance were also taught at the camp. The camp closed in the 1980s and became a resort focused on equestrian activities.
14 Linear Feet (13 boxes)
Camp Yonahlossee was a summer camp for young women founded in 1922. The camp operated until the late 1980s. This collection features materials related to camp life, administration, and history. There are extensive photographs and scrapbooks which illustrate the experience of Camp Yonahlossee from its earliest years in the 1920s until its close in the 1980s.
The collection is arranged into two series. Series I: Camp History is arranged alphabetically. Series II: Visual Materials contains five subseries. Subseries A: Black and White Photographs is arranged alphabetically. Subseries B: Color Photographs is arranged alphabetically. Subseries C: Scrapbooks is organized by individual scrapbooks, descriptions and titles of these are listed in the finding aid. Subseries D: Artifacts is organized by individual artifacts. Subseries E: Slides is organized alphabetically by slideshow presentation.
The collection was originally accessioned as part of AC.500: Appalachian Cultural Museum Records in 2011.
The collection was processed and finding aid generated by Trevor McKenzie, October 2013. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.
- Camps -- North Carolina -- Blowing Rock Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- AC.687: Camp Yonahlossee Collection, 1925-2002, undated
- Collection processed and finding aid generated by Trevor McKenzie, October 2013.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script