Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia maps
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of 12 color maps detailing the troop of movements of the Army of Northern Virginia and the Army of the Potomac during the Battle of Chancellorsville, May 1-3, 1863. Chancellorsville is located in Spotsylvania County, Virginia.
The materials are in English.
Conditions Governing Access
No interlibrary loan.
The collection is open for research in the Dougherty Reading Room.
The Battle of Chancellorsville was fought May 1-3, 1863 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. The opposing forces were the Confederate Army of Northern Virginia, commanded by Robert E. Lee, and the Union Army of the Potomac, commanded by Joseph Hooker. The battle was a significant victory for the Confederacy but resulted in the loss of Lieutenant General Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson who was severely wounded by friendly fire while trying to return to his lines after nightfall on May 2. Jackson died eight days later of complications from pneumonia and is now buried in Lexington, Rockbridge County, Virginia.
3 Linear Feet (1 oversize folder)
The Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia Maps mark the movements of the opposing Union and Confederate forces throughout the course of the battle. The maps progress through the various engagements in increments of several hours each covering May 1-3, 1863. Detailed are the positions of skirmishers, columns, and artillery as well as sites of major advances, retreats, and non-battle actions.
The collection is contained in a single oversized folder.
The source of these materials is unknown.
The collection was processed and finding aid generated by Trevor McKenzie, November 2014. This collection was processed as part of a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission. The grant funded extensive processing of the backlog within the W. L. Eury Appalachian Collection between 2012 and 2014.
- Chancellorsville (Va.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chancellorsville, Battle of, Chancellorsville, Va., 1863 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chancellorsville, Va. -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Maps, Manuscript. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- AC.893: Battle of Chancellorsville, Virginia Maps, 1998
- The collection was processed and finding aid generated by Trevor McKenzie, November 2014.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script