Showing Collections: 1 - 16 of 16
Identifier: UA 5133
Abstract The provenance of these records is varied, but all of these records pertain to the buildings and campus of Appalachian. Design, maintenance and construction on the campus of Appalachian State University is generally carried out by the Physical Plant. The blueprints and drawings in this collection date 1928-2010.
Abstract The Department of Communication is housed within the College of Fine and Applied Arts and was established in 1977 as the Department of Communication Arts. The Department of Communication Records contain administrative and correspondence files dating 1967-2003.
Abstract The Department of Government and Justice Studies, formerly called the Department of Political Science and Criminal Justice, is a part of the College of Arts and Sciences at Appalachian State University. This collection contains documents pertaining to the operations of the department and University groups, including correspondence, meeting minutes, course change and curriculum change proposals.
Abstract Health and Physical Education courses have been taught at Appalachian since at least 1921 and in 1991, the department was renamed The Department of Health, Leisure and Exercise Science (HLES) and currently operates in the College of Health Sciences. The Department of Health, Leisure, and Exercise Science Records contain information on committees, programs and facilities from the early years of the program.
Dates: 1967-1983; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1981
Abstract The Division of University Advancement at Appalachian State University supports and encourages the university’s academic mission by engaging alumni and friends and the local community through news, special programming, and direct contact. The University Advancement Records contain administrative, operating, fundraising, correspondence, historical and reporting documents, dating 1911-2008, with the bulk of the material dating 1991-1994.
Dates: 1911-2009; Majority of material found within 1991 - 1994
Abstract Established in 1976, The National Center for Developmental Education (NCDE) provides instruction, training programs, research, and other services consistent with the purpose of developmental education and the missions of Appalachian State University and the Reich College of Education. The National Center for Developmental Education (NCDE) Records contain mostly correspondence and administrative files pertaining to NCDE and the Kellogg Institute, as well as several media collections including...
Dates: 1930-2009; Majority of material found within 1977 - 1983
Abstract The Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance (EDC) is charged with ensuring that the dignity of students, employees and campus visitors is upheld, equal access to education and employment is guaranteed, respectful treatment is assured, and an appreciation of differences is fostered for all members of the university community. These records contain mostly administrative files and reports/surveys concerning initiatives of the office.
Dates: 1968-1997; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1990
Abstract The Office of Institutional Research, Assessment & Planning operates within Academic Affairs, and has existed under its current name since 2001. It has previously operated as the Office of Long Range Planning, the Office of University Planning and the Office of Institutional Research and Planning. These records contain mostly files created in the process of generating reports including statistical data files, self-studies files, and planning/project files, dating 1962-2004.
Dates: 1962-2004; Majority of material found in 1981 - 1981
Abstract The Office of Summer Sessions currently coordinates and administrates ASU’s summer academics. The Office of Summer Sessions Records contain historical, administrative and promotional material dating 1961-2005, with bulk dates of 1983-1994.
Dates: 1961-2009; Majority of material found within 1983 - 1994
Identifier: UA 03.002
Overview John Edwin Thomas served as Chancellor of ASU from his appointment in 1979 to his retirement in 1993. The records contain information on the general administration of Appalachian State University, state governance, accreditation, academic programs, student life, and cultural events. His administration is known for capital improvements to the campus, increased faculty, and development of technological and communication infrastructure.
Identifier: UA 5241
Abstract In July 2004, Kenneth Edward Peacock became the sixth chancellor of Appalachian State University. This collection consists of administrative documents and materials concerning Peacock's installation.
Dates: 1989-2007; Majority of material found in 2005 - 2005
Identifier: UA 02.02
Abstract William Howard Plemmons was the second President of Appalachian State Teachers College serving from 1955 until 1969. Materials in this collection include correspondence and subject files, newsclippings, photographs, and other printed materials relating to the administration of Appalachian State Teachers College (A.S.T.C.) during Plemmons’ presidency and his continued active involvement as President Emeritus.
Abstract The Physical Plant, within Business Affairs, has been in operation since at least 1971, and its purpose is to create an aesthetically pleasing, environmentally sound, and energy efficient physical environment for the campus community. The Physical Plant Records contain a wealth of material relating to projects undertaken by the Physical Plant as well as files relating to daily operations. Though the files date 1931-2003, many of the files date between 1967 and 1994.
Dates: 1931-2003; Majority of material found within 1967 - 1994
Abstract This collection consists of the papers of Robert. F. Coffey, who was the superindendent of construction for Appalachian State Teacher's College during the 1930's and early 1940's. The papers are primarily business documents related to the construction of buildings on campus, though there are two small references to Mr. Coffey's personal life. The majority of Mr. Coffey's papers are correspondence relating to the design, planning, and ordering of equipment for the Watauga Hospital.
Identifier: UA 5283
Abstract Appalachian State University received its current name on July 1, 1967, transforming over the years from a small teachers’ college to a multi-disciplinary university. The University Deeds collection contains the original deeds to properties belonging to the university as well as supporting documentation, copies and abstracts of the deeds, notes and correspondence, title analysis, maps and drawings of property, certifications, and contracts.
Abstract The Carol Grotnes Belk Library and Information Commons was dedicated and opened in September 2005 and features a five floor space with nearly a million bound volumes, public computer space, digital media studio, group study rooms, the University Writing Center and Special Collections. The Belk Library and Information Commons Records contain a variety of administrative files, documents pertaining to the construction and operation of the “New Belk Library,” planning documents, committee and...
Dates: 1905-2014, Undated; Majority of material found within 1990 - 2001
- Subject: Planning X